Roman Calendar

Saturday, November 30, 2013

Stoic Week Morning Text for Reflection - Day 6


Morning Text for Reflection:


At break of day, when you are reluctant to get up, have this thought ready to mind: 'I am getting up for a human being's work. Do I still then resent it, if I am going out to do what I was born for, the purpose for which I was brought into the world? Or was I created to wrap myself in blankets and keep warm?' 'But this is more pleasant.' Were you born for pleasure - all for feeling and not for action? Can you not see plants, birds, ants, spiders, bees all doing their own work, each helping in their own way to order the world? And then do you not want to do the work of a human being, do you not hurry to the demands of your own nature?

 

Marcus Aurelius, Meditations 5.1

No comments:

Post a Comment